Primula specuicola goes by the common name of "Easter Primrose" and that's because it blooms at Easter time. This year (2016) I headed south the week before, making the 17 hour drive to Moab, Utah over two days. I had been there the previous October and had seen a few plants just forming their resting buds, but I was anxious to see this species in bloom.
![]() |
| Primula specuicola growing in an alcove |
I made the following video to help you understand the habitat of this remarkable species. Don't forget to change your settings to watch in High Definition. Enjoy!
Pam Eveleigh © 2016



Really interesting article and video. I was unfamiliar with alcoves and their significance as habitat. The process of P. specuicola colonising new suitable alcoves must be painstakingly slow!
ReplyDeleteEd
I was surprised also. It really was an eye-opener to see them in the wild.
Delete